You’ve probably read a few blogs on here by now (hopefully !!) and noticed I tend to refer to tones of skin, and face shapes when I talk about makeup, or looks to try, so in this article, I thought I would try to explain the importance of face shape, the different types and how to work out which one you are.
Why is face shape important ?
Well, quite simply, the shape of your face strongly influences which hairstyles, glasses, or makeup effects are going to suit you. It also helps makeup artists like myself to explain looks and styles using a common language and also allow you to look and compare yourself to others for looks to try. In particular photos of celebrities at events, which are a great way of seeing which shapes and looks will suit you. In particular hair styles !
What types of face shape are there ?
Generally, you’ll find that makeup artists will refer to one of six shapes when referring to faces.
- Oval. The oval face type gracefully tapers from the forehead to the chin. The forehead is wider and often you’ll have more prominent cheekbones and a rounded chin. Celebrities with an oval face shape include Kylie Minogue, Blake Lively and Jessica Alba.
- Long. The long face type is similar to the oval face type, but the length from forehead to chin is just a little longer, maybe by a couple of centimetres. The cheekbones won’t be a pronounced with this shape though and sometimes the chin will be a little more pronounced. Celebrities with this face shape include Teri Hatcher, Sarah Jessica-Parker and Mila Jovovich.
- Round. No surprises here ! The shape of your face from forehead to chin compared to the width across the cheekbones to your ears is the same, or at least very close ! Celebrities with this face shape include Kirsten Dunst, Kelly Osborne and Drew Barrymore.
- Square. In one respect, the square face shape is similar to the round one in that the forehead to chin and width across the cheekbones is pretty much the same. The principle difference is that the jaw line is much more angular and prominent to the chin. Celebrities with this type of face shape include Jennifer Anniston, Sandra Bullock and Natalie Portman.
- Heart. With the heart face shape, you’ll notice that the forehead and chin are more prominent. Usually the shape of the forehead is influenced by the hair line, in there will be a peak in the middle of the forehead which divides it into two, like a heart shape ! Celebrities with this type of face shape include Kate Moss, Scarlett Johansson and Reece Witherspoon.
- Diamond. The diamond face type is more of an unusual one. For this shape the width across the cheekbones or temples is wider than the forehead or chin. You’ll probably also notice that your cheekbones are higher on your face too. The main difference between this face shape and the heart face shape is the hairline at the forehead. You won’t have that peak which divides the forehead in two. Celebrities with Diamond face shapes include Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Greene (Told you it was rarer !!)
How to work out which type you are
Now you know the 6 basic types, you need to work out which one you are ! It really couldn’t be simpler !! You only need two measurements and then three observations………
- Measurement one. From the top of your forehead at the hairline to the bottom of your chin, right down the middle. Doesn’t have to be to exact, near enough will do
- Measurement two. Straight across the cheekbones, just below the temples. Again, doesn’t have to be too exact.
If measurement one equals measurement two. You’ve got a round or square face. If measurement one is longer, then you have an long, oval, or oblong. If measurement two is longer, you’ve probably got a diamond shape face. Next look at your hair line. Have you got a peak in the middle of your hairline ? You’ve got a heart shaped face. Next look at your jawline. If its angular, you’ve got a square or diamond face. If you have a more pronounced chin, you’ve probably got a oblong or long face. If you don’t see a pronounced jawline, its round
And it’s as easy as that !! If you get pickled, you can always send a photo to us and ask – we’ll be only to pleased to help.
Love and hugs